The update failed to install and customers are now being offered a refund. Microsoft has said it will work with users on how long the process may take before they can get their computer back up-and
running, but that is not exactly detailed.
The “feature update to windows 10 version 20h2 download” is a problem that has been present for a while. Microsoft released an update to fix the issue, but it failed to install.
Finally, Windows 10 version 20H2, often known as the “October 2020 Update,” was made available to everyone. This is a massive upgrade with a slew of new features, security enhancements, and bug fixes. The most recent feature update, version 20H2, is now available through Windows Update for all eligible devices. To install Windows 10 version 20H2, the user must first click the download and install link. However, some users may report that the Windows 10 October 2020 Update failed to install, stating that “feature update to Windows 10 version 20H2 failed to install 0xc1900101” or that “feature update to Windows 10 version 20H2 failed to install 0xc1900101” or that “feature update to Windows 10 version 20H2 failed to install 0xc1900101.”
Apply the remedies given below if you are unable to install Windows 10 version 20H2 because it is stuck downloading or fails to install with error 0xc1900223 or 0xc1900101.
The feature update 20H2 for Windows 10 failed to install.
Most of the time, Windows 10 Update gets stuck or fails to install due to a corrupt Windows Update cache, your computer having trouble connecting to the Windows Update server, windows system file corruption, incompatibility of an application installed on your computer, or third-party software conflicts.
If Windows 10 20H2 won’t install, try the simple fixes first.
To download Windows update files from the Microsoft site, make sure you have a reliable Internet connection.
Disconnect from VPN if it is setup on your device, and temporarily remove third-party antivirus if it is installed on your computer.
To avoid driver conflicts, unplug any external devices such as the printer, scanner, or audio jack.
Make sure you have adequate free disk space on your System Drive (C:) to download the update files for installation or upgrading.
Make sure that all installed device drivers are up to date and compatible with the current version of Windows. The Display Driver, Network Adapter, and Audio Sound Driver, in particular. From the Device Manager, you may check and update them.
Check the system requirements for Windows 10 version 20H2 and run a compatibility test.
Open the Service Manager and verify that they are both Started and have the following Startup type:
- Intelligent Transfer Service: Manual Background
- Automatic Cryptographic Service
- Manual Windows Update Service (Triggered)
Also, according to a few Windows customers, deleting the folder $WINDOWS.BT from the C: disk would help them resolve the Windows 10 20H2 update problem.
- Select the View tab at the top of the File Explorer window.
- Make sure that the option for hidden files is enabled (To show hidden files and folders).
- Now In the C: drive, look for the folder $WINDOWS.BT. Delete it after you’ve found it.
To Flush DNS cache, open the command prompt as administrator, execute command ipconfig /flushdns, and click the enter key. Then attempt to download Windows 10 version 20H2 again.
Run the Troubleshooter for Windows Updates.
The built-in update troubleshooting tool in Windows 10 can discover and resolve issues that prevent Windows Update from downloading and installing. Run the troubleshooter and let Windows take care of the rest.
- Using the keyboard shortcut Windows + I, open the Settings app.
- To troubleshoot, go to Update & Security.
- Select the extra troubleshooter link from the drop-down menu (refer image below)
Click Run The Troubleshooter after finding and selecting Windows Update.
The troubleshooter will run and try to figure out if there are any issues preventing your machine from downloading and installing Windows Updates. After the operation is finished, restart your computer and manually check for updates.
Windows Update Components Reset
Corrupted Windows Update components, as previously stated, create various Windows Update installation and upgrade issues. If the Windows Update Troubleshooter does not resolve the problem and the Windows 10 20H2 Update still fails to install with Error 0xc1900223 or 0xc1900101, Then, using the procedures below, reset the Windows Update components.
- Using services.msc, open the Windows service console.
- Scroll down to the Windows Update Service, and click it.
- Stop the Windows Update Service by right-clicking it.
Clear the update cache by following the instructions outlined below:
- Press “Windows + R,” type the path below, then hit the Enter key.
- All files relating to Windows updates may be found in this area.
- Select all of the files in the “Download” folder and erase them all.
- Start the Windows update service by opening the Windows service panel once again.
- Now go to Update & Security and see if there are any updates available.
Correct language and regional settings
Windows update failure may also be caused by wrong regional settings. Check that your language and regional settings are accurate. By following the procedures below, you may check and correct them.
- Select the Settings app using the Windows + x keyboard shortcut.
- Select Region & Language from the choices on the left after clicking Time & Language.
- Check that the Country/Region you selected from the drop-down list is accurate.
- Also, make sure you have the relevant Language Pack loaded.
- Change the Home Location to “your nation” and then click OK on the “Location” page.
Run the System File Checker program.
Again Corrupted system files create a variety of issues, including the inability to download and install updates. The system file checker tool can assist you in repairing and fixing faulty system files.
- As an administrator, open the command prompt.
- Enter the command sfc /scannow into the command prompt.
- This tool will check for damaged or missing system files and restore them from a specific folder located in percent WinDir percent System32dllcache if any are detected.
- Wait till the percentage is 100 percent. finish the scanning process, and then restart your computer.
- Now go to Update & Security and see if there are any updates available.
Note: If the SFC Utility Scan Results reveal damaged files that cannot be repaired, run the DISM Tool to allow SFC Utility to do its task.
Make the switch to Google DNS.
- To open ncpa.cpl, use Windows key + R, enter it in, then click OK.
- This will bring up a window for network connections.
- Find the active network adapter, right-click it, and choose Properties.
- To open the properties window for Internet protocol version 4 (TCP/IPv4), double-click it. ,
- Use the following DNS server address if you choose the radio option (refer image below)
- 220.127.116.11 is the primary DNS server, whereas 18.104.22.168 is the alternate DNS server.
- mark the box that says “Validate settings upon exit” and then click “OK.”
Clean up the boot
Also, try a Clean Boot and a Software Update Check. If a third-party service or starting program is preventing you from installing updates, try doing a clean boot and checking for updates. This is also the most practical solution for the problem of Windows 10 Update 1809 not installing.
Using the Windows 10 Update Assistant, upgrade manually.
You may also obtain it right now using the Windows 10 Update Assistant! After you’ve downloaded it, launch it to begin installing the Windows 10 20H2 update.
- When you click Update Now, the assistant will run a series of basic checks on your PC’s hardware and settings.
- And, if everything looks fine, begin the download procedure after 10 seconds.
- The assistant will begin automatically preparing the update procedure after validating the download.
- After a 30-minute countdown, the assistant will restart your computer automatically (the actual installation can take up to 90 minutes). To start it right away, click the “Restart now” button in the bottom right corner, or click the “Restart later” link in the bottom left corner.
- Windows 10 will go through the last steps to complete installing the update once your machine restarts (a few times).
Also, if your Windows Update is stuck during the upgrade process, you may utilize the official media creation tool to upgrade to Windows 10 version 20H2 without any errors or problems, or you can manually upgrade or clean install Windows 10 20H2 update by downloading the ISO file.
Also check out:
this advertisement should be reported
The “feature update to windows 10 version 1909 failed to install” is a problem that has been present for a while. Microsoft released an update on November 6th, 2018, to fix the issue.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why does feature update to Windows 10 version 20H2 fail to install?
A: Unfortunately, the update to Windows 10 version 20H2 is failing due to a system error. It has been suggested that users try downloading and installing this update again from Microsofts website.
Why is Windows 10 update failing to install?
A: Windows 10 does not have to be installed. It can only be downloaded and then run from there, so it would seem that the update is failing because you dont want or need it anymore. You might consider reinstalling all of your files if thats the case – deleting them beforehand will remove any leftovers on your computer drive too!
How do I force windows 20H2 to update?
A: There are two ways to do this. The first is by using a terminal command which would disconnect your connection from the internet and update it on its own. This can take anywhere between 30 minutes – 24 hours depending on how often you use it, and what version of windows youre updating to.
The second way is simpler in that if Windows Update isnt working for you I would suggest going into settings/update & Security -> Check now button as well as hitting restart under restarts options
- feature update to windows 10 version 20h2 failed to install 0x8007000d
- feature update to windows 10 version 20h2 failed to install 0x80004005
- feature update to windows 10 version 20h2 failed to install 0x80242016
- feature update to windows 10 version 20h2 stuck at 61
- feature update to windows 10 version 20h2 failed to install 0x800f0845